Sunday, January 11, 2009

well it works on rats...

and is a mainstay of the sci-fi ASFR fiction but now its been announced:

'Sex chip' being developed by scientists.

the article continues:

The chip works by sending tiny shocks from implanted electrodes in the brain.

The technology has been used in the United States to treat Parkinson's disease.

But in recent months scientists have been focusing on the area of the brain just behind the eyes known as the orbitofrontal cortex - this is associated with feelings of pleasure derived from eating and sex.

A research survey conducted by Morten Kringelbach, senior fellow at Oxford University's department of psychiatry, found the orbitofrontal cortex could be a "new stimulation target" to help people suffering from anhedonia, an inability to experience pleasure from such activities. His findings are reported in the Nature Reviews Neuroscience journal.

Neurosurgery professor Tipu Aziz, said: "There is evidence that this chip will work. A few years ago a scientist implanted such a device into the brain of a woman with a low sex drive and turned her into a very sexually active woman. She didn't like the sudden change, so the wiring in her head was removed."

He added however that the current technology, which requires surgery to connect a wire from a heart pacemaker into the brain, can cause bleeding and is "intrusive and crude".

He continued: "When the technology is improved, we can use deep brain stimulation in many new areas. It will be more subtle, with more control over the power so you may be able to turn the chip on and off when needed.

"In 10 years' time the range of therapies available will be amazing – we don't know half the possibilities yet."

An electronic machine, named the Orgasmatron, taken from the 1973 Woody Allen film Sleeper, is already under development by a North Carolina doctor, who is modifying a spinal cord stimulator to produce pleasure in women.


so what else is in fetish fiction thats already being worked on i wonder?

xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

I *wish* I had the chip implanted in my head. O_O *lol*

Really, I have had problems with depression and *anhedonia* for so long that yes, I'd be willing to resort to Borg-mind-control measures if it got me better again.

Seriously. Slap that Ren-n-Stimpy Happy Helmet (tm) on my head, I don't care. ^_^

Just saying,

Bradley Poe (yeah, I know...this sounds like the setup of so much bad ASFR fiction it's not funny, but right now, ergh, computer issues are giving me hassles...ack)

Anonymous said...

I had seen this story.

I just had to roll my eyes.. woman with low sex drive had it turned into high sex drive and couldn't handle it so had it removed.

Too many woman like this.. not enough like the poster above. ;)

Anonymous said...

Meh. You realize I'm a guy, right?

^_^ But yeah...I get what's being said here. More folks do need to volunteer, and more *uses* of this tech besides the recreational/prurient once need to be looked into.

Not to disrespect the human sex drive, mind you....I'm just saying that if this device can also cure depression better than damned pills can, that might take a little bit of priority over turning women into willing hornball drones.

But then again, if we can do *both* and still get the job done, why not? ^_~ I've been waiting for my Fake Plastic Girlfriend for years now. Hypnosis only does so much to program women into being the dolls I desire (and also liking it, mind you).

So if I can get both/and going here, hell, it would be worth the risk of being mutated into the lady's Ken doll, so to speak.

Just my plug nickel,

Bradley Poe (who really does not want to get into the port-compatibility issues involved with non-straight unions, since that's not my preference anyway, sorry...)